10 Ways to Keep Your AC Running Reliably
Take Control Over Your Comfort
After a long and grueling winter, summer is finally here. Time to give your furnace a much-needed break and let your air conditioner take the reins.
Are you doing everything you can to keep your AC running reliably? By taking a proactive approach, you can prevent future repairs and maximize your system’s lifespan. When we provide air conditioning installation service in Montgomery County, MD, we tell our customers how to properly maintain their systems. Here’s what we tell them:
- Schedule a tune-up at the start of every season. Like anything man-made, your air conditioner isn’t perfect 100 percent of the time. That’s why it’s important to schedule a professional tune-up before the upcoming season. During a checkup, our technicians will inspect your equipment and point out any problems that need to be addressed. This way, when temperatures are at a seasonal high, your air conditioner will be able to reliably do its job.
- Clear your system of debris. Leaves, branches and other debris can clog your unit over time. Before you start using the AC, remove any debris to ensure your system can work efficiently.
- Consider a programmable thermostat. Why put extra stress on your air conditioner when you don’t have to? With a programmable thermostat, you can save money when you aren’t home. Whether you’re at work or on vacation, keep your thermostat at a higher temperature while you’re away. Not only will you save money, but you’ll also put less of a strain on your system. It’s a win-win!
- Change the air filter regularly. This is a basic but very important step. During the summer, change the air filter each month to prevent debris buildup. This will keep your system running efficiently, while simultaneously protecting your indoor air from allergens and pollutants.
- Have a professional inspect the air ducts. High energy bills, uneven temperatures and loud rattling noises can all stem from inadequate air ducts. If your ductwork is older or hasn’t been inspected for years, you might want to have a professional take a look. Whether the problem is caused by leaks or debris, addressing any problems with your ductwork will boost your air conditioner’s efficiency.
- Raise the temperature at night. While you’re sleeping, you can raise the temperature a few degrees. This will save more energy and give your air conditioner a nice break.
- Keep your system in the shade. Do your AC a favor and keep it in a shaded place. This way, it won’t have to work as hard to cool the hot air.
- Make your home more energy efficient. If your home is full of leaks, your AC will be forced to work in overdrive 24/7. Caulk and seal any leaks and use weather stripping around doors and windows to preserve the cool air.
- Clean the fins. Remove the outer covers and use a garden hose to clean the fins. Never use a power washer as the pressure can damage the fins.
- Use ceiling fans when possible. If your home has ceiling fans, use them! They use less energy than air conditioners and are a cost-effective way to cool your home. The more you use the ceiling fans, the less you’ll need to crank up your air conditioner. When the heat isn’t as intense, you might even be able to turn the AC off completely and let the fans do all of the work.
Leave the Tough Stuff to Us
While there’s plenty you can do to keep your AC running properly, there’s also a time to call the professionals. If you believe there’s something mechanically wrong with your air conditioner, don’t try to fix it yourself. Doing so can further damage your equipment and lead to even more expenses.
As your local HVAC company in Prince George’s County, MD, and throughout the tri-state area, Vito Services has been bettering homes and businesses since 1934. We’ve seen everything there is to see with air conditioners and will help you get the most out of yours. When there’s something wrong with your equipment—but you don’t know what—don’t leave it to chance. Leave it to the trained professionals at Vito Services.
To schedule a maintenance tune-up or other AC service, call your local Vito Services office or contact us online today.